A recipe full of fiber & flavor!
Yields: 4-6 one cup servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sesame oil
- 1 can of chicken, 12.5 oz
- 1/2 medium cabbage, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tbsp. hot sauce, optional
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, onion, paprika, and tomato paste. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage and cook for five more minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until you can smell the garlic aroma.
- Add the shredded carrots, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together. Cook without the lid, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes, until there is no liquid remaining.
- Add hot sauce, if desired. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Serve with 1/2 cup brown rice or any other whole grain for an even heartier meal.
- Add 1/2 cup of broccoli, green beans, or snow peas when you add the carrots for more fiber.
Recipe inspired by Salt & Lavender and approved by Open Hand Registered Dietitian Nutritionists.