Fry any type of bean for this tasty treat!
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 15oz can beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 tsp paprika
- 8 tortillas
- 2/3 cup cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium to medium high heat and cook the onion, garlic, and bell pepper for 2 mins.
- Add the cumin and cook for 1 min more.
- In the same pan, add in the beans, paprika, and a splash of water. Using a potato masher or a fork, break the beans down as they warm through to make a rough purée.
- After mashing the beans, spread the refried beans mixture onto 4 of the tortillas, and then sprinkle the cheese and salsa over the refried bean mixture.
- Top each tortilla with another to close in the refried bean, cheese, and salsa mixture.
- Wipe the frying pan out and return to the stove (medium heat). Heat each quesadilla for 1-2 mins on each side until the tortillas are crisp and golden and the cheese is melting.
- Serve warm, cut into wedges, with your desired toppings!
Quick Tip: Don't be afraid to add in other veggies! Try corn, squash, zucchini, or mushrooms.
Recipe inspired by BBC Good Food and approved by Open Hand Registered Dietitian Nutritionists.